Sunday, September 18, 2005

Sick little girl...

WOW we have had a crazy couple weeks here! Frank left for Iraq on September 6th. It was hard to say goodbye. He is currently in Kuwait and will be moving into Iraq soon. Then his year deployment will officially start. The kids miss daddy a lot, but they have been able to talk to him on the phone a few times, so that has helped.

Two days after Frank left, Kennedy got really really sick. Since then I have been battling with doctors to figure out what is going on with her. Unfortunately we have been given the run around and she has not received adequate care. I have put together a journal to take to the patient representative at our hospital, so I thought I would post it here as well so you all can catch up. I tried to stick to the facts and keep emotions out of it for this purpose, but it has been a scary and exhausting ordeal. Please pray for my Kennedy that they figure out what is going on very soon! Thanks!
Renee

Date: Thursday, September 8, 2005
Kennedy gets a cold... her 3rd one in 6 weeks, I make an appointment for her at the Young Eagles Clinic with Ms. Morse on Friday.

Date: Friday, September 9, 2005
Kennedy wakes up gasping for air and has a temp over 105. I give her Motrin.
At the clinic she registers a temp of 103.
Ms. Morse says Kennedy's lungs are very raspy. She sends us for a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. The x-ray shows pneumonia and reactive airway disease. She prescribes Omnicef and orders a nebulizer to be delivered to our home. She also prescribes Albuterol and Pulmicort. She ran some blood work and they did one nebulizer treatment in the clinic before we left. That night I give Kennedy her Omnicef. Motrin and Tylenol have been alternated throughout the day.

Date: Saturday, September 10, 2005
I give Kennedy her Omnicef and then a breathing treatment with Albuterol and saline. She starts shaking violently and her hands and feet turn blue. Her fever sores to 105.4. Motrin is given which she immediately throws up. She shakes for about 25 minutes and her fever goes down and she sleeps for over 2 hours. When she wakes up, her temp is over 104. I take her into the ER at BACH at the advice of a pharmacist. We get into triage and her temp is down to 103. NO pulse ox was taken. After waiting for almost 3 hours, and me going out to ask for Motrin twice, we see Dr. Blanton and I voice my concerns about Kennedy turning blue and say this cannot be normal. He says turning blue is part of the virus and basically brushes us off. He also states that her pulse ox was 100 percent and does not believe me when I say her pulse ox was never taken. The nurse comes in with 1½ teaspoons of Motrin. I tell her it is too much for Kennedy and she argues with me and gives it to her anyway. Her normal dose is ½ teaspoon. I inform the doctor of this and he says "Worst case scenario she will get a bad tummy ache." They do a nebulizer treatment with Albuterol on Kennedy and nothing happens. We are sent home with no help. Kennedy gets her second dose of Omnicef when we arrive home.

Date: Sunday, September 11, 2005
Kennedy is having a hard time breathing again but I am scared to give her the Albuterol, thinking she is having a reaction to it. I give her the Omnicef and then give her a breathing treatment with saline only. She tolerates this well. A few hours later her fever spikes to 104, she starts shaking and her hands and feet turn blue. I give her Motrin and watch her closely throughout the night, knowing the ER will not help me. Her fever escalated and dropped throughout the night and Tylenol and Motrin were alternated and she received her nighttime dose of Omnicef.

Date: Monday, September 12, 2005
Kennedy wakes up and gets her morning dose of Omnicef.
We have an appointment at the Young Eagles Clinic with Doctor Min. I voice my concerns about Kennedy turning blue and her spiking temps. He has no idea what is going on, so he chalks it up to the virus. Her lungs sound 100 percent clear. I tell him we will be seeing her cardiologist on Thursday and he says that is a good idea. Kennedy has no fevers or blueness today. Before bed she receives another dose of Omnicef.

Date: Tuesday, September 13, 2005
No doctor's appointments today. Kennedy spikes no fevers, and everything is fine. She receives her morning and evening doses of Omnicef.

Date: Wednesday, September 14, 2005
No doctor's appointments today. At 11:00 her TIPS advisor comes for our appointment. Kennedy starts crying uncontrollably. She feels warm so I go to get her thermometer. Her advisor holds Kennedy and she says, "She is getting really warm, really warm, ok she is hot, really hot!" I take her temp and it is up over 105. This is in a matter of 5 minutes. Her hands and feet turn blue and she is shaking uncontrollably. I give her Motrin, which she throws up. She falls asleep on my tummy, still shaking. We observe her for a while and her temp goes away, so we decide to watch her and not take her into the ER. I keep my son home from school so I do not have to put Kennedy in the back seat where I cannot see her. Kennedy's advisor comments that she has never seen ANYTHING like this and she is scared something is really wrong. Kennedy receives both her morning and evening doses of Omnicef.

Date: Thursday, September 15, 2005
In the middle of the night Kennedy rolls over next to me and she is hot, really hot. I jump up and turn on the light and she is blue again. I take her temp and it is over 103. She is very sound asleep but her breathing is quick and shallow. I watch her closely and about 20 minutes later her fever goes down and her hands and feet slowly go back to pink.
We go see Kennedy's cardiologist. He does an echocardiogram and says that her VSD is closed. He checks on her Vascular Ring and says it is not hurting her or constricting her airway right now. He says in the future she will have to have an operation, but she is ok for now. I, once again, voice my concerns about Kennedy turning blue and her spiking temps. He says this is not anything to do with her heart. He thinks it may be something hormonal and recommends we see an endocrinologist right away. Her thyroid screens have always come back normal, but he says the endocrinologist can do a deeper screen and maybe pick up something the other tests missed. He also re-emphasizes the importance of RSV shots this year. He looks at her blood work from September 9th and says she definitely does/did have pneumonia, and he also says she is VERY anemic. No one in the Young Eagles clinic has ever told me she was anemic. He looks at her blood work from June and says she was anemic then too and I have to get her on Iron right away. He tells me to ask for the endocrinologist referral when I see the pediatrician next.
Later in the afternoon Kennedy spikes another fever, but her hands and feet do not turn blue this time. Her fever drops about 25 minutes later. Kennedy receives both doses of her Omnicef.

Date: Friday, September 16, 2005
Captain Rowe sees Kennedy in the Young Eagles clinic. This is the first time she has seen Kennedy, and this appointment is supposed to be her 15-month check up (on her 16 month birthday). Kennedy's fever is down for the moment and she is happy and playing. I again voice my concerns that I think something is really wrong with Kennedy, and that turning blue cannot be normal. Captain Rowe says the spiking temps and her blue hands and feet are most likely a side effect of her virus and she does not seem too concerned. I tell her what the Cardiologist says and she reluctantly agrees to put in a referral for the Endocrinologist but says it will take up to 3 months before she will be seen. I ask her to redo her blood work from last week and she says it is not really necessary. I ask her to do it anyway so she does a CBC but will not do a blood culture since she is on antibiotics. She makes us an appointment to come back on Monday so she can follow up. We decide it is best to hold off on Kennedy's vaccinations until she is 100 percent well. Kennedy's Omnicef is gone.

Date: Saturday, September 17, 2005
Around 4am Kennedy wakes up screaming. I reach over to pat her back to sleep and she is burning up. I jump up, grab the thermometer and her temp is 105.3. Her hands and feet are blue again. I give her Motrin, which she immediately throws up. I take her temp again and it's 106.5. I take her and put her in a lukewarm bath, which brings her temp down a little. She falls back to sleep on my stomach. As soon as daylight hits, I start making phone calls and arrange for my older children to be taken care of so I can take Kennedy to the ER. A neighbor comes over to help me get the kids ready. She holds Kennedy and says that, "Kennedy is so, so hot, Renee!" Kennedy cannot even lift her own head. I give Kennedy another dose of Motrin and brush my hair and we are off to the ER in our pajamas leaving my neighbor to dress my other children. I take her to the ER at Gateway this time, which is 10 minutes from my house. Kennedy's temp is down to 102 when she sees the triage nurse. I burst into tears and tell her that Kennedy is SO sick, but every time I see a doctor she seems to get better. The nurse assures me that 102 is NOT better. An hour or so later, we get to the back and see a doctor. Again I voice my concerns about Kennedy's spiking temps and her hands and feet turning blue. He does a chest x-ray, a CBC, a blood culture and blood chemistry. He agrees that something weird is going on with Kennedy and she needs to be admitted and observed so they can run tests and figure this out. I agree wholeheartedly and feel thankful that someone is finally listening to me. He goes to start the paperwork and comes back to tell me that our insurance will not cover Kennedy being admitted at this hospital. She will have to go back to BACH. He calls the head doctor there, a doctor Sherwood… or Sherman, and he says that since Kennedy's fever is down right now he has no medical reason to admit her and if we show up we will be turned away. The doctor at Gateway apologizes, but his hands are tied unless we can pay for the hospital bill. He recommends that the next time her fever spikes I get her to BACH right away, no matter what the time, so maybe they can see what is happening and finally run tests. Once again, we are sent home with no help.

Sunday, September 18, 2005
Kennedy does great all day! She has no spiking temps and plays and eats normally. Around 7:30pm she starts crying uncontrollably. By 8:00 she is shaking and her temp is starting to rise. I get my other kids ready and we get out of the house. On the doctor's advice from Gateway I do not give Kennedy Motrin. Right before we leave her temp is 102.9. We arrive at the ER at BACH at 8:45pm. Her temp is 104.7. The nurse asks me when I last gave her medicine and I tell her the truth. She then yells at me for depriving my child of medicine to prove a point. I try to explain that no one has believed me all week long and she tells me she does not believe that. She gives Kennedy ¾ teaspoon of Tylenol. Kennedy throws up her Tylenol 15 minutes later. After another encounter with a very rude PA we are finally given a bed and see Phil Volkert. I tell him how scared I am that Kennedy is spiking these high temps after 11 days. He is caring and truly wants to get to the bottom of why Kennedy is doing this. He decides to pull her lab results from Gateway so he does not have to stick her again. Her chest x-ray and CBC from Gateway are normal, but the blood culture and blood chemistry are not back yet. A nurse comes in to take Kennedy's temperature again. It is 101.5. She rudely tells me to take Kennedy’s shirt off. I smile and say, "At least her temp is down a little, right?" She again rudely insists I still need to take her shirt off. I agree politely and she stomps out of the room. I am then glared at by a group of nurses who are obviously whispering about me. Not long after, Kennedy's fever breaks. She sits up and plays and acts like the happy baby she is. Mr. Volkert says that he cannot admit Kennedy because she looks so good now, even though he saw how badly she looked just 30 minutes before. He tells me to keep Kennedy's doctor appointment in the Young Eagle Clinic with Captain Rowe in the morning and demand that she is seen ASAP with the Endocrinologist. He says if she will not do it to speak to Dr. Min. Again, we are sent home.
Just before 5am Kennedy wakes screaming. I take her temp and it is 107.1. I give her Motrin, which she immediately throws up. I wipe her down with a cool cloth and her temp finally drops to 104.3. We are waiting for it to break now.

14 comments :

Anonymous said...

Renee, I'm so very sorry to hear about your most recent news. Poor babygirl and poor you. This has to be so terrifying for you and I can not even imagine. You are a wonderful mom and I admire your strength.
I'm sending Kennedy and you lot's of good thoughts.
Tam
Fort Bragg, NC USA - Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:43 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

((Renee and Kennedy)) I'm so sorry you guys are having such a hard time. You know you guys are in my thoughts and I hope things will begin to look up. Hugs and love all around
Tiffany Schroer
Louisville, ky united states - Monday, September 19, 2005 8:55 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe that no one will listen to you! I hate when Dr's and ER personnel think they are superior and know everything. Don't they realize that mommies know BEST! I sure hope that you can get someone to listen to you and figure out what is going on with your sweet Kennedy.
Sara, Emily's mommy - http://www.caringbridge.org/ca/emilyalexisrose
Southern California, - Tuesday, September 20, 2005 10:55 AM CDT

Anonymous said...

Renee, I am praying that they are able to correct the blockage in Kennedy's kidney. I have been worrying about her so much. Please give her a kiss from me and take care of yourself.
Mary Beth
Cleves, OH USA - Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:42 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

Dear Renee, I am so sorry to hear all that you are going through with the doctors. I am so sorry to hear that little Kennedy isn't feeling well. What is up with those high temps and blue feet and hands? When my little Tommy was having low O2 Sat issues, cardiology, ENT and pulmonery all passed the buck on "whose" speciality it was that needed to address Tommy's problem. Unfortunately, we never did get it resolved. And all this happened when my husband was over in Iraq too. If you have a video camera, I would also film one of her febrile episodes, to take with your very detailed medical history that you have!! Great job!! Pictures too, of her blue hands and feet! Tons of them. I would document as much as possible with video and camera. Let the insurance DENY that, when they can see it with their own eyes. Temp readings too, if you can do that. Please give a call if you need to talk. Email me and I will send you my number!! I documented my struggles with the docs too, on Tommy's webpage... www.caringbridge.org/va/tommy
Deb Dougherty
Virginia Beach, VA USA - Wednesday, September 21, 2005 10:41 AM CDT

Anonymous said...

Renee & Kennedy,

I know that God is watching over you. I'm sorry that you are going through this. I know that Baby Kennedy will get better and will soon be reunited with her brother and sister. Keeping you and your Mommy in my thoughts and prayers.
Jenny
Raleigh, NC USA - Wednesday, September 21, 2005 4:23 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

Dear Renee and Kennedy,
Keep up the good fight. I know it's getting frustrating. I'm praying that God will bring healing to all of baby girl's infections (THREE of THEM!!!) I'm praying that the doctors will have wisdom and that you and Kennedy will go home soon. Give the kids a kiss from us.
Amy and Austin
Gray, GA USA - Wednesday, September 21, 2005 8:19 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

Frank, Renee, and Kennedy, our prayers are with all of you. May God watch over Kennedy and bless her everyday.
I hope that the commander and other officials realize she is not just a civilian, she is a BABY and should not be denied the care she needs, after all her father is ACTIVE DUTY. She is his dependent. SHE DESERVES A CHANCE!
Steve and Anna Barger
american canyon, ca USA - Friday, September 23, 2005 0:57 AM CDT

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((RENEE)))))))))))))
i cannot believe the ordeal you are going through !
this would never happen over here... i am thankful for the medical care that is so easy in my country.
i hopr Kennedy will be helped and that she will get better 100%
Love always !!

Manuella and Kaya
Antwerp, Belgium - Friday, September 23, 2005 1:30 AM CDT

Anonymous said...

God bless you and that precious baby girl of yours. I will pray for your family.
Amanda Cunningham
Blanchard, Idaho USA - Saturday, September 24, 2005 11:16 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. The situation you are in right now is awful. Stay strong and positive.
Kymberley Saul
Richmond, IN - Monday, September 26, 2005 8:41 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

Renee, your family is in my thoughts. I hope Kennedy gets better soon !
Hope ** momuf3.blogs.com **
Tampa, FL United States - Tuesday, September 27, 2005 7:38 AM CDT

Anonymous said...

Many, many prayers being said for Kennedy, I am so very sorry that your precious lil girl is having to contend with this. Prayers for MUCH better days ahead, and for some final answers for you!!

CagedKids
PrayerBears
SOEW
Jennifer
FANCY GAP, VA U S A - Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:04 PM CDT

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry that doctors think because they went
to school for 8 years or more that they are god. I am praying that someone in there right mind will understand that your sweet baby is sick and help you. GOD will send you the right doctor soon I pray. Please JESUS send sweet Kennedy some help LORD touch her tiny body and heal her I pray. In JESUS sweet heavnly name I pray! AMEN!
Shannon Fox Mom to caringbridge.org/nc/jesseman
Green Mtn., NC USA - Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:57 PM CDT