Looking for my Blogoversary Giveaway?! Click here!
DID YOU KNOW?!
* That 1 in 5 children with DS play a musical instrument? For children older than ten, that number doubles. One of five children with DS sing in a choir or vocal group, for children older than ten, it is every one in three...
* Two out of every three children with DS like to draw and/or paint pictures
* Approx. 9 out of every 10 individuals with DS listened to someone read a book more than three times a week between the ages 2-5
* Approx. 7 out of 10 children w/ DS use total communication (signs, etc) between the ages of 2-5
* Approx. 7 out of 10 kids with DS saw a speech therapist two or more times a week between the ages of 2 and 5
* Approx. 1 of every 3 children with DS older than ten rides a bike without training wheels
* Seven of every ten individuals with DS older than ten participates on an athletic team through Special Olympics
* Two out of every five individuals with DS participates on an integrated athletic team.
* According to their families, 3 out of 5 individuals with DS know how to operate a computer.
* One of every three individuals with DS older than ten w/ DS reads the daily newspaper on his or her own
* Seven of ten individuals with DS older than 10 read books on their own for personal enjoyment
* One of two children with DS go to school in a mainstreamed class.
* 3 of 5 children with DS participate in school activities that are open to all students.
* According to their families, 1 of 5 children with DS talk on the phone with friends more than three times a week. For children older than ten, that number doubles.
* One of three children with DS write email regularly
* Two of three children with DS over age ten have a boyfriend or girlfriend!
* Approx. 7 of ten children with DS pray on a regular basis.
* According to their families, approx. 7 of 10 individuals with DS imitate characters from a television program or movie
* Approx. 2 of 3 individuals with DS older than 10 prepare their own breakfast each morning.
* Three of four individuals with DS older than 10 make their own bed in the morning.
* One of two individuals with DS (older than 18) work in a non sheltered workplace
* One of five individuals with DS (18 or older) lives on his or her own