Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Choking Game...

This is GianLuc (Luca) Jordan. He was a typical 12 year old boy here in Colorado Springs. He was smart, athletic... a soccer and swimming star. He had lots of friends and was very outgoing. We didn't know Luca, though Kassidy and Keeghan are playing in the same soccer league that he did. We only heard of him through his death.

Luca died on August 17th after being in a coma for five days as the result of a dangerous game. I admit I've never heard of it before. It's apparently common among middle and high schoolers. This game is called "The Choking Game". These kids make themselves pass out which gives them this natural high - it's better than doing drugs, they say. But, it can go very, very wrong. Like in Luca's case, it can be deadly. On August 13th, Luca tied a belt around his neck, the goal is to feel this euphoria, and instead he lost consciousness and never woke up again.

As a parent of a middle schooler, this terrifies me. There are youtube videos and websites dedicated to teaching kids how to play "The Choking Game". When kids were asked, many said they've tried it or they know someone who had. Thankfully, neither Kassidy or Kameron had ever heard of it. But they have now. And hopefully Luca's story has scared them away from even thinking about ever trying this "game". We will talk about this often. Any time that we talk about drugs or alcohol or smoking, we'll throw this in there too. Luca's parents want to make sure that his death was not in vain. They want to bring awareness to the danger and the very real fact that thousands of kids across the country are playing this game and risking their lives every day.

PLEASE talk to your children about the dangers of this game. You can find more info here and read GianLuc's story here. You can also find his caringbridge page here. Please keep the Jordan family in your prayers as they begin their lives without their son and make sure that his life and death will help save other kids.

11 comments :

Lora said...

One of my son's friends was late to the birthday party we had 2 weekends ago because he was at a memorial ceremony for this young man. I hope his parents can find some small amount of comfort in the fact that their loss WILL make other parents aware of this problem and save other children's lives. I wish it wasn't too late for Luca.

mkevans said...

I can't believe this is still going on. We live in a fairly small town and when I was 12 or 13 (20 now), one of my best friend's friends died the same way. It's never really been a popular thing here, even before she died, so it was pretty shocking to hear about.
Many prayers to Luca's family.

mom2natnkatncj said...

Don't forget to talk about huffing too in the whole drug talk. I have heard about this before. Makes you wonder what kids will come up with next to get a "high". Sigh, so sorry for this families loss. Now I shall go talk to my kids about this.

Notsopc said...

Actually that game was around when my kids were in school but you would just squeeze your neck tighter and tighter until you almost passed out. How sad because this boy didn't want to die.. He just probably wanted to have fun...
So sad that middle school age kids want something more..
Some other time you need to have a discussion about the sex stuff that middle schoolers are involved with.. but that isn't for one now.. My heart goes out to this boys parents and family and friends.. How tragic..
Nancy

Anonymous said...

So heartbreaking. Our community lost a young boy (14) the same way last year. I was in the youth group at our church that weekend. So many teens were shaken and in tears by the incident. Some shared testimonies of having tried this. I don't understand. I too pray Luca did NOT die in vain and this tragedy prevents another from happening.

Lynn said...

I HAVE heard of it before because a very special woman lost her 16 year old son to this. There have been several deaths in this area because of it recently. And a very dear and special woman lost her brother-in-law to this. It's horrific and terrible and so, so tragic!
Stopping by to let you know I'm still here praying!
Psalms 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Kath said...

It happened to a few kids over here about a year ago, I didn't know them but saw it on the news etc. It's so sad, and and the same time there was a rash of deaths because pre-teens/young teens were sniffing aerosols, not realising that it was a drug, or how dangerous it was.

Allison said...

Oh gosh Renee, I will honestly admit that I have done a form of this game in the past. I'm now 33 years old, this was when I was 16. It was done by placing hands around someone's neck. The person would start to develop a euphoric feeling, then pass out for a few seconds. I have had this done to me and I've done it to friends. We had NO idea how very stupid and dangerous this was!! One friend of mine went into convulsions after passing out. I honestly thought I had killed him. Thankfully he was okay! We NEVER did this again after that one episode. I wish we had been educated as to how dangerous this "game" can be. Seeing that there are still so many people who have not heard of this, my guess is my parents had never heard of it, and had no idea what we were doing. A woman I work with had a 15 year old son die from doing this about 6 years ago. It absolutely frightens me to know now what the consequence could have been!
Allison, Nebraska

Jenn said...

I have a friend whose son had been playing a version of this game here in Colorado Springs and he is only in 2nd grade! I put it on my FB page so hopefully ALL of my friends will read this and become educated so we can prevent more deaths.

Jenn said...

A friend of mine's 2nd grader here in the springs had been playing a version of this game. I posted it on my FB page in hopes that ALL of my friends would see this and educate themselves and their children to hopefully prevent any more deaths.

The DB Foundation said...

The Choking Game has been causing injuries and fatalities of our youth for generations! Now is the time for Public Education! The DB Foundation, Inc is eligible for a $10K grant from the Pepsi Refresh Grant Challenge to receive funds to host a National Choking Game Awareness Conference. We need all concerned citizens to vote for this project. Won't you join us in saving kids by voting 3 ways every day through Nov 30th.
On PC: http://www.refresheverything.com/chokinggame

Text: 109321 to 73774

Mobile: http://m.refresheverything.com/Idea/19586

Please Share and Repost! For more info visit www.TheChokingGame.net