Tuesday, August 30, 2011
The Choking Game...
Luca died on August 17th after being in a coma for five days as the result of a dangerous game. I admit I've never heard of it before. It's apparently common among middle and high schoolers. This game is called "The Choking Game". These kids make themselves pass out which gives them this natural high - it's better than doing drugs, they say. But, it can go very, very wrong. Like in Luca's case, it can be deadly. On August 13th, Luca tied a belt around his neck, the goal is to feel this euphoria, and instead he lost consciousness and never woke up again.
As a parent of a middle schooler, this terrifies me. There are youtube videos and websites dedicated to teaching kids how to play "The Choking Game". When kids were asked, many said they've tried it or they know someone who had. Thankfully, neither Kassidy or Kameron had ever heard of it. But they have now. And hopefully Luca's story has scared them away from even thinking about ever trying this "game". We will talk about this often. Any time that we talk about drugs or alcohol or smoking, we'll throw this in there too. Luca's parents want to make sure that his death was not in vain. They want to bring awareness to the danger and the very real fact that thousands of kids across the country are playing this game and risking their lives every day.
PLEASE talk to your children about the dangers of this game. You can find more info here and read GianLuc's story here. You can also find his caringbridge page here. Please keep the Jordan family in your prayers as they begin their lives without their son and make sure that his life and death will help save other kids.