Thursday, March 8, 2012

Static Electricity

So, of all the things people told us about winters in Colorado, there's one thing they forgot. Apparently when winter hits around here, everything you touch shocks the heck out of you. And it HURTS! Static Electricity is alive and well, my friends, and it's all living in my house!

When I try to brush the kids' hair in the morning, it stands up straight, especially the girls. When I go to kiss them goodbye or goodnight, we've learned to discharge first by touching fingers because that hurts WAY less than shocking our lips... though Kassidy always wants to touch my cheek first for some reason... big meany.

Turning on light switches usually comes with a big blue spark we can actually see and a painful blow to the finger tips, and opening the car door in the morning sometimes feels like it jumps starts our hearts. Certain blankets send off fireworks, and our cell phones... well... I'm a little concerned we might just short them out. It's quite ridiculous. I'm glad no one here has a pace maker or they'd be in big trouble.

Seriously, if you don't hear from me for a few days, send someone to check on us... we might be stuck...

Or fried... 

Is it Spring yet?! 

17 comments :

Sewconsult said...

You know that some of your blog posts have been electrifying!
All you need is to do is to purchase (and use) a humidifier. Or just heat of the tea kettle a few times a day and let it steam for a few minutes. It will work in the kitchen area for sure.
Beckie

mom2natnkatncj said...

It's because of the heat in the house. It makes the air dry. Get a humidifier. That should help. Also, baby wipes work great at taming wild static hair ;).

Dame said...

I second the humidifier suggestion, it will do wonders for the static.

Sheri Holthe (Oleson) said...

Lived my whole life in Wisconsin and you definetly need a humidifier. The perfect option is to get one installed right on your furnace...I think they are called April Air. Otherwise you can do what we do...buy one for each bedroom and then a bigger one for the livingroom. It does help take the dryness out. You can also not run the fan in the bathroom after a shower...just leave the door open and let the steam take over the house. Good luck!

Evil Stepmother said...

Three words: leave in conditioner. You can't live without it. Just a few sprays on damp hair and you're good to go until the next wash.

Janet said...

In Canada we always put humidifiers attached to our furnaces!

Holly Aytes said...

I hate static electricity! This wont help with all of the static problems but my girls hair is horrible in theme winter and someone once told me rub their hair with a dryer sheet...it really works! Bonus, hour children will smell wonderful :) maybe everyone could walk around with a dryer sheet and use it to touch things...not sure if it would work or not. Lol

becky said...

Try carrying a used bounce sheet (dryer) in your pocket. I used to put a couple in my coat pocket because in the winter, I would get zapped every time I touched my car!
We also used to keep a pan of water on the back burner of the stove on a slow boil...not enough to make the windows steam up, but enough to put moisture back in the air.
My in-laws heat with a wood stove and have a tea kettle with no cap on the spout that sits on top of the wood stove.

Mundanemomma said...

I was going to comment and say, get a humidifier for the furnace, but everyone beat me to it! LOL! But yeah, definitely do that. And don't turn it up too high, or you end up with condensation and ice on your windows, like me...sigh. I can't win, but then, I would rather the ice than the pain of shocks!

Lynsi said...

Yes humidifier. A whole house humidifier is best but since you are renting that may be tricky. I am sure a couple in the rooms of your house would help!

Just Me said...

When I was a kid (and ok, really now secretly) I used to love winter static hair. My hair is very curly and long and a proper amount of static gives me the most interesting hair ever (electrocuted look). It's great (until needing to go out.) I didn't read other comments but spraying hair spray on the comb before combing helps.

Lynn said...

Christ Himself gives us these promises. Know that I'm here praying!
Revelation 21:5-7 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

john said...

I think humidifiers are really helpful for this.


choose energy provider texas

SherryA said...

Humidifiers are a must in winter. This year (in Indiana) we have not used ours because we've had an unusually warm and wet winter. Enough moisture around to keep us from shocking and getting shocked. :)

Lacey said...

Wow, I'd be afraid to touch anything in my house!!

Tracy said...

LOL! I experienced that in Texas. The problem there was that the static was there year around. I got shocked by the car doors, the cats, the light switches, the grocery store shelves.....it makes you a little jumpy, doesn't it?

JennaJennJenn said...

The same thing happens around here but for some reason it seems like I am the only one that ever gets shocked. Before kissing my husband I always touch his lips with my finger. lol Getting out of the car if you have cloth seats is a hazard also. And I've gotten really good about remembering to touch door knobs with my sleeve first. One of the many many things I hate about winter.