Today is the Annual World Down Syndrome Day! It is celebrated every year on March 21st (3/21) because Down syndrome is Trisomy 21 - 3 copies of the 21st chromosome. Pretty cool, huh?
I had a lot of fun today reading to all the kids classes and talking about Down syndrome. Kameron's class was the most interesting because they had a LOT of great questions about Down syndrome and what it means and chromosomes and genetics and all that stuff. It was a really fun conversation. The best part was that a few of the girls in Kennedy's class were at the same dance competition that Kennedy was in this past weekend. They danced with different studios, but recognized Kennedy of course and talked to her on Saturday. They loved talking about Kennedy dancing and how great she did and asked if it was harder for her to learn to dance than typical kids. I told them that some of it was harder for her, but because kids with Ds are so super flexible because of low muscle tone, she can do the splits super easy! They were very impressed and a little jealous! haha
Anyway, in honor of World Down Syndrome Day, here are 21 facts about Kennedy and Kellsey that you may or may not have known. Enjoy!
1. Kennedy's least favorite thing in the whole world is homework! BUT she'll do it almost all by herself now with only a little bit of pouting.
2. When American Idol is on, Kellsey will sing into the pen of her magna doodle, like a microphone.
3. Kennedy currently wants to marry Justin Bieber. If anyone runs into him, please let him know.
4. We're thinking about renaming Kellsey "Houdini" because she can work her way out of ANY seat belt. No five point harness is too tricky for her!
5. Kennedy tries to wiggle her teeth out because she knows when they fall out, the tooth fairy brings her money... and that means she can go to Claire's and buy a new purse.
6. When Kellsey sits on the potty, she won't pee until everyone is out of the bathroom and she's all by herself. Stage fright?
7. Kennedy likes to go to her room, turn on Disney channel and act out whatever show is on with her baby dolls - usually Good Luck Charlie, A.N.T. Farm or Shake it Up.
8. When Kellsey is in the bathroom (alone) she likes to unroll the toilet paper. Often. Especially when it's a new roll.
9. Kennedy will often tell us that she is Rocky (from Shake it Up) but she will never let me be CeCe (her sidekick). I'm seriously considering dying my hair red to see if that qualifies me for the part. ;)
10. Kellsey likes her hair tucked behind her ears. No matter how many times I comb it or "fix it", she tucks it back whenever she has a chance. It's even tucked in her sleep. I think she will always be a tucker. :)
11. The other day, Kennedy said that she will ride a motorcycle when she grows up. Apparently they're "cool". This would be done without her mother's blessing.
12. Kellsey will nod her head yes no matter what you ask her. Sometimes this works in her favor, other times, not so much.
13. Kennedy wants a puppy. A real puppy. A tiny puppy. One that she can carry around in her purse. I told her she needs to talk to daddy about that.
14. Kellsey is now in the 75th percentile for her weight and the 70th percentile for her height on the Down syndrome growth chart. Before her feeding tube, she was in the 10th percentile for weight.
15. Kennedy loves to play in the dirt at recess at school... the evidence of that comes home all over her clothes... and her face... and her hands... and her legs... and is left in the bottom of the shower. ;)
16. Kellsey likes to take her shoes off and put them back on... on the wrong feet.
17. Kennedy performs dance and singing concerts in our living room multiple times a day.
18. Kellsey occasionally makes a good backup dancer... when she's in the mood.
19. Like it or not, Kennedy will ALWAYS tell you what she thinks about you or the situation at hand. This isn't necessarily a good thing.
20. Even though Kellsey is a girl of few words, she gets her point across pretty well. If she's not happy, ain't nobody happy! ;)
21. Even though Kennedy and Kellsey both have an extra chromosome, they couldn't be more different than one another. Each of them special in their own ways. :o)