Kellsey's tests went well today. She had her endoscopy and MRI and then they also decided to do an MRA which looks closely at the blood vessels. The endoscopy was over quite fast and showed quite a bit of improvement since they took the battery out last week. That's a good thing. There's still signs of damage in there, but no bleeding, so her GI doctor was pleased with that. The comparison of the damage in the pictures from last week when they took the battery out to this week has dramatically decreased, though she pointed out areas that are still not "right".
Her doctor has been talking to the team in Denver who has kind of "written the book" on kids who have swallowed these batteries and their care afterwards. Unfortunately, Kellsey falls in the most dangerous of cases because the battery was in there for several days, and even though it's out now and her esophagus is healing, the electrical charge it caused can still be doing damage even now. In fact, they said that many of the kids who have died from swallowing these batteries have gone home from the hospital, appearing to be fine, and then collapsed at home... and nothing could be done. They died from the charge left over from the battery. *sigh* There is also extra concern with Kellsey of course because she can't TELL us if something doesn't feel well or right or whatever.
For now, they have decided to wait on feeding her orally to be safe. Her tube feeds are going well with a reflux medication on board, so they are going to slowly increase those. Her IV antibiotics are done today so she won't be on those anymore, so the good news is that she should be completely unhooked except for when she's getting her gtube feeds. This will give her a little more freedom to go to the play room etc. Once they get the results of her MRI and MRA, they are going to discuss it with the team in Denver and decide where to go from there. Before, they were saying that she could possibly start eating by mouth tomorrow and then if that went well she could possibly be home by Thursday... now this doesn't look like that will be happening. I was hoping to hear the results of her MRI/MRA tonight but I didn't hear from the GI again, so I will catch up with her tomorrow. I am guessing she's still waiting to hear back from the docs in Denver.
Things to be praying for... that everything looks good on her MRI, especially her aorta. That was one area of concern that her GI mentioned. Anyway, all that to say, I don't have a lot of answers right now. Hopefully I will have more tomorrow. Thank you for all your prayers for Kellsey.