Kellsey was moved out of ICU to a regular room today on the ped's floor. She was thrilled! This means a little more freedom, a play room, a DVD player, and we were thrilled to get over there and find our favorite nurse waiting for us! :o) She was there when Kellsey had her g-tube put in and then again when she had her cellulitis.
Unfortunately, Kellsey's IV gave out today... they only last so long, and when you are allergic to most tapes and tegaderm, it's even harder to keep them secure. Shannon (her nurse) came up with quite a fabulous concoction for her new IV. I think this one will hold much better. We'll see!
I talked to Kellsey's GI doctor at length tonight... the doctor who did the test on her yesterday had some things to say about me of course... I'm difficult, you know? I explained that I'm really NOT trying to be difficult and I'm absolutely appreciative of everything they've done for Kellsey, BUT if a tech doesn't know what he's talking about, then he shouldn't be guessing and telling parents what he THINKS is going to happen... and then arguing with them about it before clarifying with a doctor. I told her that I am fully aware that I am not a doctor, I KNOW I'm not an expert, and 99.9% of the time I don't know what I'm talking about, but I DO know Kellsey better than ANYONE else and she is NOT "every" kid. If they did with her what they do to "every" kid, she would have been dead a long time ago. I did apologize for getting so upset yesterday and she told me that we'd have to repeat that same test she had done yesterday several more times so if yesterday's scenario ever happens again, I should just ignore the tech and wait to talk to the doctor. I agreed, but I still think the techs should not be saying things to parents if they don't know what they're saying is true, you know? Whatever. All is well as far as I know and hopefully they understand that I'm just looking out for Kellsey's best interest.
Tomorrow they are going to try tube feeds again at a slower rate and see what happens. Obviously, she needs nutrition so they have to do something, but the GI did agree with me that reflux is a real worry. So they're going to take it slow and watch her for any signs of reflux and go from there. They are also going to put different fluids through her IV.... more sugar perhaps? We don't want her losing lots of weight! Monday's test will tell more of what the next steps will be for her.
I am home with the kids again tonight... I went back and forth and all over today... yesterday, Kassidy was helping out in Kennedy's classroom after school (she does that twice a week) and she fell on her wrist and really hurt it. It was still bothering her today so I took her to her ped and he thought it might be broken. Seriously. I just kind of laughed and said, "Well, I guess I'll take her to visit Kellsey and have an x-ray!" Things like this just don't happen, right?! Thankfully they called me not long after her x-ray and said that nothing is broken, it's just a bad sprain, and to keep it wrapped for a couple weeks until it's feeling better. Hallelujah!! One less thing to worry about! She is going to sit out for soccer tomorrow and let her arm rest.
In the morning Kameron has play practice and Kennedy has dance and then I'm going to head back to the hospital so I am there when they start Kellsey's feeds. I will hang out there for the afternoon/evening and then probably switch with my mom again so I can take the kids to church for Easter morning and then we'll switch back again so I can be there for Monday's endoscopy and MRI. I am trying hard to finish this program for Kameron's school play, but the site I need to use is blocked at the hospital for some crazy reason so I need to be home to do it. Ahhh! If anyone has a cloning machine, please send it my way!!
I am thankful that Kellsey is out of ICU, that Kass' arm is not broken and that between me, my mom and a couple friends, all the kids are covered, taken care of, and getting to where they need to go. More tomorrow.