Kellsey is out of surgery. Both objects (the one in her esophagus and the one in her stomach) were batteries. This is what they were afraid of, unfortunately. From the looks of them, they've been there for awhile... Possibly even before her symptoms started on Friday. The one in her stomach was ok... It did not cause any damage because it passed down. However, the one in her esophagus was really lodged in there and had started eating away at the tissue. There is one part of her esophagus that is now paper thin as the battery almost ate all the way through it. Typically, a child would be complaining of severe pain within hours of swallowing one of these batteries, but since Kellsey doesn't feel pain it masked everything.
She is now in ICU and will be here until she is out of the woods. The biggest risk is infection and bleeding and a hole forming in her esophagus causing air or blood to escape. She is on 3 different IV antibiotics and they said to plan to be here in the hospital for several days. They will be doing daily chest X-rays to check for any changes or signs of leakage. It's just one day at a time right now.
My mom is going to come up tomorrow and switch places with me for a bit so I can nap and shower and see my other kids. I've only seen Kass, Kam and Keeghan for a couple hours since we've been home. Kellsey is in good spirits overall, she's extremely overtired but I think she just finally dozed off. Hopefully she can get some good rest and start healing!! Please keep her in your prayers over the next few days.